Round Rock, Texas is located where the Brushy Texas once existed, on the banks of Brushy Creek. In 1851 the original Brushy Creek Post Office was located of a store. The owner of that store was notified by the postmaster that he needed to rename Brushy, Texas as their was another Brushy, Texas already in existence. The owner of that store, Mr. Oats, thus renamed Brushy, Texas to “Round Rock” as he was an avid outdoorsman and felt that the name Round Rock aptly described the features of large rocks which jutted out of the middle of Brushy Creek in his native hometown.
Big things were in store for Round Rock following its renaming. In 1876 the railroad steam engines lumbered into Round Rock and the town grew to accommodate travel and the cattle trains and immigrants from the east coast and other countries. However, the older section of Round Rock is fondly named “Old Town” and Old Town is regenerating interest in a younger generation which has restored the area for its historical interest and coffee shop Wi-Fi stops. The millennium generation has a special interest in “Old Town” and it sports a Saturday morning farmer’s market along with antique shops and craft shows. Residents of Round Rock have a keen interest in the city’s historical value and enjoy emphasizing its historical significance.
Round Rock Texas in Williamson County has been investigated by many archaelogical programs both at the University of Texas and by programs at Texas A and M since their founding. The history has been traced all the way back to the Ice Age around 9,200 BC. The skeletal remains of The Leanderthal lady confirm that this area was inhabited in the Pleistocene period by carbon dating.
Early habitation relics such as pottery, arrowheads and shards confirmed that the good weather, rich soil and plethora of water sources and wildlife combined to make this area a bonanza for the earliet Native American occupants which followed the buffalo and fished in the plentiful waters of the Round Rock, Texas area. Several different tribes of indians, such as the Tonkawa, Tawakoni and Mayeye were inhabiting the Round Rock location when the earliest Europeans arrived. By the end of the 19th century these tribes had either been eliminated or had been pushed out of the Round Rock area.
As 1865 approached, Round Rock was located smack in the middle of the historical Chisholm Trail which is famous for its transporting of cattle by the cowboys and the trains to the Midwest markets. The trail was began in the mid 1860s and had its foundation in Oklahoma and then meandered north to Wichita. The trail was necessary to provide a commercial route to transport items wanted for trade by the indian population. Goods and cattle were transported over the Chisholm trail and a feeder of this trail began North of Round Rock. From the cattle grazing lands of deep Texas, The Chisolm trail was a key point in establishing known roads and wagon paths to sustain commercialism in the beginning of Texas history.